Happy Earth Day! Earth Day is celebrated by more than one billion people across the globe every year on April 22. It’s a day to recommit ourselves to preserving and supporting our environment and celebrating the natural world we live in. It’s also a day to promote education and responsibility at the individual, community and national level.
Here at Coreio, we believe every day needs to be Earth Day because:
- Environmental responsibility is always a key component of how we carry out our services.
- Together, with our long-standing clients, we work to ensure that IT waste is minimized every day.
- We work with best in class partners to drive innovation in finding new ways to reuse, reduce and recycle.
Recycling of Components of Electronics for a Healthier Planet
As part of the Asset Refresh Program, we monitor the age and status of our clients’ standard workstation equipment (laptops, desktops, monitors, and more) to identify which are at or near the end of their life.
To retire these “end of life” assets safely and responsibly through our Lifecycle Services offering, we maintain an equipment decommissioning and disposal solution that emphasizes the priority of reusing the devices or their parts where possible, and safely recycling that cannot be salvaged and returned to use.
Through our process, our recycling partner:
- Evaluates all unwanted items for potential resale or harvesting of valuable components.
- Many of the materials that make up IT assets are recyclable, including monitor glass, plastic casing, and copper and precious metals used in the circuitry.
- Recycles the remaining waste, which involves the actual destruction of materials via shredding.
- Our recycling protocols go above and beyond EPSC/ERS provincial regulations, with zero e-waste sent to landfill or developing nations, and downstream partners carefully selected and continuously evaluated for best in class recycling processes.
Whether returned to service or recycled, data security is top of mind for all IT assets that are retired through Coreio. Regardless of the route an individual asset takes, all data-bearing devices are securely wiped using best in class solutions meeting the highest certifications, including DOD and NIST standards.